Friday, March 12, 2010

Welcome to the Evolution


Why I’m writing this blog.

Of course everyone has a blog these days and who’s to say what I say is worth your time?


Who am I?

I am an avid comic fan who has been collecting and reading funny books for the better part of 40 years. I am a passionate toy collector, of the same genre. A man of many hats, I have been fortunate enough to written for an online sports news service for almost a decade and provided my written opinion (blog, to you and me) to a number of other professional online sports-related services over the last few years. So all of this brings me here, to Evolution Comics, where I hope you will enjoy the landscape of the comics frontier, from my (not so) humble vantage points.


My goal for this blog is to entertain you with an entertaining and informative reviews. Maybe you'll find a new title to check out or a new reason to look at title you've given up on.


So what exactly are these reviews?

The format of this blog is a work in progress. In the year or so that I’ve been playing at this, before Evolution Comics came to my door, I had been reviewing books one at a time, or in a series. Lately, I’ve been reviewing the week’s haul all at once. I promise this format will change from time to time to accommodate (my) scheduling and to provide you, my constant reader (Hi, Mom!) the most up-to-date and authentic review possible.


Here’s how this works.

First I give you a list of all the comics I brought home. I list them in the order I read them because I think that’s interesting to share. I figure you triage your books and you have your own way about it, and I wanted to share mine with you. Each book that I read gets put into one of three categories: Good, Bad, and Unreadable. Now, there is a fourth category, The Un-read. Not to be confused with the zombies that are rampant throughout the comics industry (the undead), these books will be read, but either I ran out of time this week or (more likely) I’m saving them to read a few of the series at a time. Eventually these will get reviewed and added to the column. Because I know you’ll want to know how it went.


Within the categories, each book gets a grade, which is a subjective composite of the rating of the story and art. It is my firm opinion that a great artist can carry a really bad story. And a really good story can make even the most hard to look at artwork seem like background noise. And visa-versa.


So I hope you enjoy the reviews as much as I enjoy writing them for you (and me, because I’m not really at all altruistic). Please feel free to post comments or feel free to contact me by email. comicbookguy@evolutioncomicsgroup.com

1 comment: